Two dozen regional finalists from across the country converged in Toronto on May 27 at the BMO Institute for Learning to showcase their innovations to HRH The Duke of York and an esteemed panel of judges at the first Pitch@Palace Canada 1.0 Boot Camp.
Founded by the Duke of York, Pitch@Palace is a prestigious international pitch competition for entrepreneurs with global ambitions. The message at the Boot Camp from HRH The Duke of York was clear, “Every one of these entrepreneurs are within the Pitch@Palace alumni network. Let us know what we can do to help your businesses grow.”
Of the 24 entrepreneurs who pitched their businesses at the Boot Camp, the following 12 were selected to pitch for three minutes at the Final for the opportunity to represent Canada at Pitch@Palace Global at St. James’s Palace in December:
- Coastable Biotechnologies creates sustainable and fully compostable bioplastics from abundant natural resources such as crustacean shells and insect husks that are normally considered as waste.
- eOceans aims to unite the global community of ocean explorers to create the world’s most versatile marine database to be used for science and policy. By crowdsourcing insights from divers, snorkelers, fishers, surfers, sailors, researchers, and more, eOceans rapidly expands our knowledge of marine ecosystems.
- Co-founded by two University of Waterloo students, HelpWear designs, manufactures and produces wearables in medical technology. Their HeartWatch product is a 24/7 wearable heart monitoring system that detects when a user suffers a heart attack and contacts EMS.
- iMIRGE Medical is a medical imaging company that has prototyped a portable image guidance system that can improve patient outcomes in developing countries.
- NERv Technology is developing a smart catheter with embedded micro-sensors to detect gastrointestinal leaks that can arise after surgery, in real-time.
- Neuraura Biotech develops neuro sensors which allow neuro-modulation and brain machine interfacing to help those affected by neurological, psychiatric and sensory disorders.
- O2 Canada, which operates out of Communitech, is on a mission to make fresh air available to everyone, no matter where they live in the world. The team produces air pollution respirators offering an all-in-one solution to protect consumer health and enhance style.
- ORA is a safety panic alarm button that helps keep seniors and employees safe. The lightweight ORA Link fits into a necklace or belt loop clip.
- Precision AI provides agricultural artificial intelligence for autonomous farming. From self-driving combines to aerial drones monitoring crop health in real-time, precision.ai is the technology behind the food production systems of the future.
- Proof empowers governments to go paperless by streamlining internal approvals, digitizing application forms and improving policy decisions with data.
- Based in Cambridge, Synergy Disc Replacement Inc. (SDRI) designs, tests and commercializes innovative surgeon-driven products to address degenerative disc disease in the spine. Its Synergy Disc is the first artificial disc designed to restore physiological motion and correct sagittal balance.
- Vitalsines has developed a consumer device to calculate an individual’s ‘internal age’ based on aortic stiffness, a proven indicator for heightened risk of heart and brain disease.
The remaining 12 regional finalists will each pitch for one-minute at the Final.
The Pitch@Palace Canada Final is being held during Canadian Innovation Week which connects, cultivates and celebrates innovation in Canada through a variety of events across the country hosted by Rideau Hall Foundation and partners in the innovation ecosystem.
BMO is the lead supporter of Pitch@Palace Canada and continues to be instrumental in the success of the inaugural national initiative.
Thank you to all the entrepreneurs for your wonderful pitches and to BMO for providing a fantastic space for the Boot Camp.
Who will be selected to represent Canada across the Atlantic in London, UK? Stay tuned for our next article and be sure to follow @RideauHallFdn on Twitter for the latest on Pitch@Palace Canada.